Travelling to Canada

Depending on your origin country, you may be required to bring specific travel documents, letters of support or invitation, and other items in order to travel to Canada. We’ve listed the most likely requirements (if applicable) below, but please visit for a comprehensive guide.

If you're a business visitor, you need either a visitor visa or an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) to come to Canada. You may also need to provide your fingerprints and photo (biometrics) if applying for a visitor visa.

Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA)

Visa-exempt foreign nationals who fly to or transit though Canada require an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA). American citizens and travellers with a valid Canadian visa are exempt. Canadian citizens, including dual citizens and Canadian permanent residents, cannot apply for an eTA.



As of July 31, 2018, the biometric requirement is mandatory for nationals of Europe, Middle East and Africa, Asia, Asia Pacific and the Americas.